Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Making Math Fun

I think I've screwed up when it comes to math.  My oldest is not a math-loving-kid.  He is doing great with the MEP and Math Mammoth that we have been using, but he says he hates it.  He spends his days drawing, reading, and immersing himself in imaginative pretend play.  Numbers don't excite him.  So I'm back-pedaling and trying to come up with something to make him like math, or even love math.  I think story-based math is what I need.  I thought I might have found it with Noble Knights of Knowledge, but it appears that the company is no longer selling?  (ETA~I finally found a used copy of this and Nik loves it!)  I found a few lovely lessons called Gnomes and Numbers (and can't find the link now that I'm sitting here tying to post about it, of course!) They were on a Waldorf blog.  Hmmmmm.

Oh, I found it.......sort of!  The person who had the lessons on her blog is now selling her Waldorf curriculum.  It's A Little Garden Flower's A Journey Waldorf Math Book and I bought the e-book.  I can't wait for it to arrive in my inbox so I can try something new.  Nik loves stories, so maybe this approach will get him excited about math.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for story-based math, besides Living Math which we are already incorporating?

While I'm on the subject, I found a really cool site with some fun math things.  I particularly like this math worksheet (pdf) Name the Math Term.

2 comments:

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

Have you looked at the Life of Fred series? http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html My kids don't love math either, but they've been coming around since we started using this series.

Jessica said...

Tonya, I have seen Life of Fred and I'm really looking forward to using it evenually! My oldest is only 6, though, so we have a while to go before we get to it. I have heard that he is working on books for the younger children, which is really exciting!

And I did eventually find a copy of Noble Knights of Knowledge, which he really loves! Now math isn't the struggle it was, which Mom loves!

Thank you for your comment/suggestion!