Friday, June 4, 2010

Preschool Printing Readiness

I have a few minutes to myself because my preschooler is off with his grandmother.  So what do I do?  I take the time to prepare his schoolwork and blog about it!  LOL

Nate will turn 5 at the end of July.  I have spent almost no time instructing him in letter formation.  I'm not even sure if he would recognize all of the letters of the alphabet yet!  He does know how to write his name, and has recently shown great interest in learning how to write the rest of the letters of the alphabet so that he can leave Daddy notes on the chalkboard.  As a result, I've spent rediculous amounts of time reading about handwriting programs on the homeschooling message boards, trying to decide which program is right for us. 

I think I've settled on Handwriting Without Tears (HWoT), but I haven't placed my order yet.  In the meantime, we're going to work on some Donna Young worksheets for printing readiness.  We'll start with Printing Readiness and move on to Printing Readiness 2 before starting HWoT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think HWOT has a marvelous multi-sensory program for teaching kids how to write and read their letters! I often wish I could have used that for my boys instead of them having learned to write in public school, where they went for K-2. :( As a result, I have struggled to break bad habits that were formed because not enough attention was paid to their writing skills.