Friday, January 1, 2010

Changes to Our Science Curriculum

We're studying the sciences in the following order:
Life Science ~ 1st, 5th, 9th
Earth & Space Science ~ 2nd, 6th, 10th
Chemistry ~ 3rd, 7th, 11th
Physics ~ 4th, 8th, 12th

Because I wasn't sure at the beginning of the school year whether Nik would be at a kindergarten or first grade level I wanted to keep things easy, cheap, and flexible. It turned out that he's definitely up to first grade material, so we started using Classic Science: Elementary Life Science because it was free, except for the costs of printing.

At the time that I started using the program it had a font that I found very hard to read, so although we were very happy with the book we ended up switching to R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey: Life (Level One). Now the font has been changed on the Classic Science, but we're hooked on R.E.A.L Science Odyssey so we're going to stick with it. R.E.A.L Science Odyssey offers a try-before-you-buy option, which is what we did.  Now we're almost done with our free chapters and ready to purchase.

One of the things we are doing with our completed labs is putting them into a Great Big Book of Everything. (Does anyone remember the cartoon that comes from, titled Stanley? It was a Disney cartoon.) The song might jog your memory:

It's the great big book of everything
with everything inside.
See the world around us
this book's the perfect guide!

We're also still working through The Burgess Bird Book for Children and trying to get to some of the Outdoor Hour challenges.

All in all I do wish we were doing more science, so I'm going to try to add it in more than once or twice a week if I can.  Crossing my fingers that I can make it happen!

No comments: